Flood Action Steps
BEFORE A FLOOD
If an advanced Flood Warning has been issued, there are several precautions that can be taken to help minimize damage to certain areas of your business:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical equipment and appliances.
- Move vehicles out of low lying parking garage.
- Raise elevators from bottom floor.
AFTER A FLOOD
- If water enters the building and evacuation becomes impossible, move to an upper floor and wait for rescuers.
- While evacuating, avoid attempting to drive through floods or rising water, nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are auto related.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may become contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage.
- Stay out of any building if it’s surrounded by floodwaters.
SECURE THE PROPERTY
- Contact local emergency officials.
- Secure main entrances to building.
- Alert Security company and Alarm company of the situation.