Flood Action Steps
BEFORE A FLOOD
If an advanced Flood Warning has been issued, there are several precautions that can be taken to help minimize damage too certain areas of yours business:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical equipment and appliances.
- Move vehicles out of the low lying parking garage.
- Raise elevators from bottom floors.
AFTER A FLOOD
- Account that all employees are safe by establishing evacuation plans in advance, identifying areas outside the building that are designated meeting places. Assign select individuals to keep a list of their whereabouts.
- If water enters the building and evacuations becomes impossible, move to an upper floor, and wait for rescuers.
- While evacuating, avoid attempting to drive through floods or rising water, nearly half of all flash flood fatalities are auto-related.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
- Use no open flames.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe.
- Return only when authorities indicate it is safe.